Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Obsession with Kate Winslet

First off, let's talk business. I went to my weigh in this afternoon, and I gained a pound. I am officially 176.8 pounds on the Weight Watcher scale. Atypically of me, I am surprisingly okay with this slight gain. I had a difficult week, ate more than I should, logged exactly zero workouts, and deserved to gain a pound (if not more!). You know what, after being in the 200+ range since I was 18 years old, having a rough week and still being able to say that I'm in the mid-170s is not so awful. Now, that's not to say that I can't wait to get to the 160s (I really can't!!) but I'm okay with where I am...for now, at least.

Moving on, let's talk about what's really important in my life...my hair. I have some big news, really big news. I'm talking earth shattering news. Drum roll please, I dyed my hair by myself on Tuesday night. And I didn't freak out when I saw that my hair had turned green.

Hahaha, just kidding. But in all due seriousness, I did dye my hair by myself for the first time ever and I didn't freak out when it came out...how shall I put it...a little dull. My hair (pre-dye job) was actually looking pretty awesome. Blond and vibrant, just the right length, with a good wave. But my roots started to bug me. And then on Tuesday night, I happened to be home alone, with nothing to do except watch Mean Girls...and I grabbed the box of dye and figured, 'What the hell. What's the worst that can happen?"

If only I knew...



It would look almost exactly the same.

I'd like to be the kind of girl who has the guts to color her hair an extreme shade of red. Kind of like Kate Winslet's character Clementine in Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

But alas, I'm not that girl. Although, I do own nearly the same ugly, orange sweatshirt that Kate wears in the movie.



Except mine is red, with fake fur on the hood.

No, I'm not obsessed with Kate Winslet. And no I didn't just date my neighbor J because he resembles Jim Carey and I thought the two of us belonged together, like the characters in the movie. How dare you even suggest that? ;)

Anyhow, I'd like to work up the guts to dye my hair an outrageous shade of red or blue. But for now, I'm going to stick to dying it "natural" shades that resemble my true color.

With that said, I'll leave you with a few of my favorite lines, lines I've often wanted to memorize and recite to prospective guys...

"Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's looking for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours."

Oh and by the way, if I were to dye my hair an outrageous color, what would you recommend? Red? Blue? Green? Black? And what's your take on nose rings?

Oh, and if my mom happens to be reading this post, I'm totally just kidding.

Or am I? Guess we'll have to wait and see until Easter...

8 comments:

  1. I have a nose ring, and I love it.

    Kate Winslet is my hero, and I ADORE Clementine. Actually, she kinda changed my life in high school...

    Anyway, I've had every color of hair. Blonde, brown, black, red, pink, green, blue, purple... I love my red hair the most, though I think it would be really fun to streak it pink again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was more daring with my hair, too. When I was in high school, my hair dresser gave me thick platinum striped highlights and it has scarred me for life. They looked so bad on me that I didn't even want to go to school, so I haven't died my hair since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for black! I dyed my hair an almost-black but really dark brown shade once. Oh wait, no, a professional did it. But it was still pretty daring!

    And people loved it. I got compared to Courtney Cox. *swoon*

    Anyway, black/really dark brown is a great way to change your look without being too extreme.

    The only reason that I went back to my normal, mousy, dark blonde/light brown hair? It got too expensive to maintain, and I'm to chicken to ever do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. nose rings freak me out, especially loops. Studs are okay to look at, but I would never get one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am. obsessed. with Kate Winslet. Obsessed and in love. I love the shade of your hair now and wouldn't change it :)

    I love nose rings and I had mine pierced with a stud for a few years.

    I applaud you for being bold :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like nose rings but only if they are studs. Loops in an office setting look tacky. I've wanted a nose ring for a long time but my boss is very old school and I think he'd freak if I showed up with one.

    As far as hair goes you could try a dark brown/black. I've done black,very dark brown, brownish/red,very blonde,and most colors in between. All of them I've had done or done myself. My family is in the hair business so up until about 4 yrs ago I always did my own colors/highlights.

    I do admire those that are brave enough to go pink, purple, blue, etc but if you work in an office and want to be looked at as a professional I don't think those colors would be a good idea. That is just my honest opinion. I guess it would also depend on the place of business that you work at. Some are more flexable. Again my boss would freak if I showed up with blue or purple hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe u are at your "okay" weight. The weight that you are happy that you made, happy that you lost as much as you did, but not unhappy enough that you need to change it right now.

    ReplyDelete