Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Larger Perspective

This morning, I thought it would be helpful to me to look at my progress in a holistic way. Sometimes, I get fed up with my inability to diet and not being skinny. And I think it's important to look at the big picture.

At this stage in my journey towards health, I am not where I was three years ago.

-I am not 240 pounds. Honestly, I have no idea what I weigh right now, but judging that my 10-12 jeans still fit, I'm assuming that I'm not close to my all-time high.

-I am not bingeing. To prove this point, I currently have a half-full container of Nuttella in the cabinet, and I have not felt the urge to gorge on it. In fact, I may have, heaven forbid, lost my taste for the spread. All of a sudden, it tastes too sweet.

-I am not relying food to satisfy my emotional needs. When I have a bad day, my first thought isn't to go home and mindlessly eat junk in front of the television.

-I have incorporated some healthy habits. Oatmeal with banana and peanut butter for breakfast. Vegetables with dinner. More protein. Fruits as snacks. Eating breakfast every day, etc...

However, there is still more work to do.

-I need to make exercise a permanent fixture in my lifestyle. Whether it's walking, running, taking a Zumba class, I need to exercise regularly, a few times a week, for the rest of my life.

-I need to make some tweaks to my diet to be a little healthier.

-I need to work on eating to the point of contentment and not past it!

-I need to focus on feeling good about myself, whether I weigh 180 pounds or 140.

In a way, I feel like my weight reflects my progress right now. I am currently a little overweight, so I need to make some small changes. At 240, I needed to revamp my life. At 170 (estimating), I need to make some adjustments, but I think the overall structure is sound. If that makes any sense?

On that note, Nathan and I made chicken tacos last night--sauteed chicken, black beans, avocado, homemade salsa, tortillas, sour cream and cheddar cheese. It was absolutely delicious. I feel like it was a good balance between healthy and yummy. I also went for a little run on Saturday and I'm going to try to do another activity tonight. Nathan and I planned out our meals for the week, in an effort to save money and be health conscious.

Sunday night. Hamburgers. Homemade baked french fries. Roasted asparagus.

Monday night. Chicken tacos.

Tuesday night. Ziti with fennel and sausage. Roasted asparagus.

Wednesday night. Homemade pizza with mushrooms and red onions. Hopefully, something with protein or veggies on the side.

Thursday night. Split pea soup.

Friday night. Pasta with chicken, mushrooms, asparagus and parm.

Okay, so we only got to Friday, but still so much better than our usual! As you can see, none of these meals scream "diet," but none of them seem too unhealthy either. Not too much processed food, some vegetables, and lots of solid whole foods.

Anyway, time to start the day. Hope everyone is doing well.




No comments:

Post a Comment