Friday, November 5, 2010

The Verdict

I gained 2 pounds this week. It's official--the WW scale says so. And I'm not that upset about it, although it is the biggest gain that I've seen since I started this journey in March. Simply put, I ate too much over the weekend, exercised too little, and I deserved to gain.

At the same time, it is astonishing how quickly you can gain back weight. I dieted/ exercised HARD for the previous three weeks and lost a total of 2.4. I messed up one week and nearly gained it all back. Whew...how the weight comes back on quickly. This explains why it's so easy to regain weight once you have lost it.

I am proud of myself because I forced myself to weigh in, even when I knew I wasn't going to be happy with the result. This is so much stronger than I've been in the past. Before, I would overreact to mistakes and think that my diet had failed. Now, I see the gain for what it is--a bad week of eating--and I move on. Because, as I've said before, I am never going to be the perfect dieter who sticks to the plan 100% of the time, with no slip-ups. I am who I am--someone who likes to eat (sometimes too much) and who relies on food too much when I'm feeling emotionally out of whack. Although I am definitely trying to work on these issues, I will, likely, always struggle with them. And that's okay.

As for this fresh week (see, weighing in is good because you get to start a FRESH week), I'm going to focus on (1) sticking within my DPs and WPs and (2) exercising four times. I think it's interesting how last week's extreme goals lead me to extreme binge, so this week I'm going to focus on living normally and achieving manageable goals. I think I can do it ;)

3 comments:

  1. Boo to a gain! But, a lot of times the gain isn't a true gain, its partially water weight/bloat. If you stick to your guns and get back on the healthy eating/exercising train, I bet you'll see a big loss next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gains suck. I'm with Beth with the water weight/bloat weight. It would take a LOT of extra food and a LOT less exercise to truly gain 2 pounds in one week.

    I agree with extreme behavior being a setup for failure! Every time that I try to "eat clean" and cut out all processed foods, I end up bingeing on processed foods. It's all about moderation! :-)

    You've got a great attitude about all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Honestly, I don't want to speculate about whether it's water weight or not. I'm going to take the gain, and hope for a loss next week.

    ReplyDelete