Monday, August 16, 2010

The Challenge is Over

Happy Monday everyone. I'm sorry that I've been such a bad poster these last few days. Work got pretty hectic all of a sudden and I lost my internet connection in my apartment, so it's been hard to post.

I had a lazy, fun weekend. On Saturday morning I woke up reasonably early and made it to the Farmer's Market at Monument and Robinson. While there weren't too many booths, I was able to pick up some very yummy items--fresh peaches, swiss chard, a dozen fresh eggs, homemade pasta, hanover tomatoes, and some bell peppers. All for $20, so I did pretty well :) I really enjoyed shopping at the Farmer's Market more than going to the over-priced, organic grocery store. After I hit the Farmer's Market, I drove to a bakery in Carytown and picked up a loaf of bread. Then I went home and had a scrumptios brunch of fried eggs, toast with butter, tea, and sliced peach. So good!

Minus the tea, spices and butter, it was a totally local breakfast.

As for the local challenge, it is officially over, thank goodness. To be honest, I completely failed on my challenge to eat solely local foods. Even on my best "local" days I would break the challenge to use butter, spices, alcohol, non-local produce. And towards the end of the challenge, I just gave up and went out for sushi and pizza. However, I don't think that trying to eat local was a waste because I have discovered some local foods that I like and that are affordable. I love the local produce--especially the tomatoes and peaches--and I love freshly baked bread and fresh eggs. Also, the local ice cream I got was AMAZING. And the good thing is that those items are relatively inexpensive. On the other hand, it doesn't seem necessary to eat only local peanut butter, cheese, granola, wine etc...Also, eating only local products REALLY limits your options, and I am just not willing to give up eating bananas, mangos, collard greens, etc... Plus, I learned that I really don't like most Virginia beers, although the Virginia wine I got was pretty yummy. All in all, it was a learning experience.

Now, I am back to WW and COUNTING POINTS. I have been a little off-balance lately what with eating local (or trying to) and socializing A LOT, so I feel the need to get back on track with eating and exercising. After all, I still have 40+ more pounds to lose. I made it to the gym yesterday, and I want to go again today and return to my Body Jam class (I haven't been to that class in over a month). And I'm back to counting points today.

Wish me luck, and happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. hey! sorry i missed your call on Saturday - I was in Chicago at the Healthy Living Summit and super busy. We can still chat this week if you want to - even though your challenge is over!

    ReplyDelete