Monday, August 30, 2010

Filling Foods

I feel like I have to relearn healthy eating habits over and over. I seem to fall into patterns somewhat unconsciously and then I have to re-examine why I'm not making progress on my goal to eating healthy.

Case in point, lately I've been overeating on junk food. I've indulged in three pieces of pizza when I, a month ago, would only eat 1. I've found myself slowly but surely drifting back to old eating habits--such as a bowl of ice cream in the afternoon. THIS NEEDS TO STOP. So far, I haven't gone totally off the edge and binged and I have not seen a gain on the scale (fingers crossed!) but I know that I have fallen off the wagon of healthy eating.

And that's okay. No one's perfect. And I'll be the first to admit that I love food--especially junk food--which is why I was 90 pounds overweight in the first place. Those impulses are not going to disappear in 4 months. So I need to cut myself some slack and realize that this journey is going to take a while.

So I started to think about why I'm reverting back to old, bad habits, and it hit me: I'm eating a lot of unfilling foods that are easy to overdo--such as pizza and ice cream. Instead, I need to shift gears and start eating foods that fill me up and reduce the impulse to overeat. Part of the problem this week has been that I haven't had a chance to go grocery shopping, so I've been relying on leftovers, ramen, etc... But I will go grocery shopping and eliminate that problem.

So the plan today is to do the following:

B: oatmeal with banana (very filling)

L: Lunch 1/2 leftover ham sandwich with a small serving of potato salad

D: Grilled chicken with rice and beans and a side of collard greens.

I'm also headed to the gym after work (I even packed my bag). My knee has been bothering me a bit, so I'm going to focus on weights instead of cardio. Well, wish me luck and happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment