Friday, January 14, 2011

The Secret to Weight Loss

Down 2.2 this week, putting me back in the 170s, yay!

After losing weight this week, I can only conclude one thing: The secret to weight loss must be drinking more alcohol. In particular, Gin and Tonics, red wine, and Heinekens seem to be the keys to weight loss. Shots of cheap whiskey don't seem to hurt either. The verdict is still out, however, on tequila. I'll have to experiment with that this coming week and keep you updated ;)

Just kidding. In all due seriousness, I'm happy that my unique blend of following Weight Watchers 80% of the time--making somewhat healthy decisions and socializing--resulted in a loss this week. For the first time in a long time, I did not weigh myself midweek (probably because I hadn't been to the gym, oops) and so when I stepped on the scale I told the receptionist that I had no idea what the scale would show--it could be a big gain, a big loss, or a maintain. And it's also that time of the month, so I really didn't know what to expect. The receptionist, knowing my habit of slightly overreacting to gains, tried to steel me for the worst. Most women gain during that time of the month, she told me. And then I saw a loss. That was a good moment.

Now before you hate me for losing weight, let me put this into perspective: I gained 11 pounds two weeks ago and I'm still not down to my low weight, pre-holiday madness. So, in essence, I'm basically throwing around a ridiculous amount of water weight. At the same time, it's nice to see the scale moving in the right direction.

Now, for the not so great news. I only exercised once this past week. Frankly, that's unacceptable. I know that exercise (for me) doesn't seem to have much of an impact on my weight loss, but I really want to become a stronger and healthier person. And there's the Monument Avenue 10K on April 2 that I'm determined to run. So, I need to step up my game and actually follow through on my fitness goals. Which means that I may need to cut down on the drinking so that I don't have the "I'm too hungover and sleep deprived" excuse to get out of going to the gym. Which, in turn, might slow down my weight loss, haha. Again, just kidding...or am I?

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Or am I totally crazy?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the loss! If you have found the balance that works for you, then GREAT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually lose once or twice by going all out drinking and not really exercising but after that I start to put on weight the more I drink. I've pretty much cut all alcohol out except for on special occasions. I've never really been one to drink at home anyways so it works for me. If it works for you that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Katie!! You're making huge strides on taking that 11 pounds off! And alcohol does dehydrate you so in a way it does help with weight loss. :)

    I do notice that when I exercise more I'm definitely hungrier, so I eat more. Exercise is NOT essential to weight loss - I lost 5.6 pounds my first week back on plan and didn't work out - but it is essential to being healthy. And for me, stress/anxiety management.

    ReplyDelete