Thursday, July 1, 2010

Degrees of Success

There is something to be said for the Weight Watchers philosophy of tracking what you eat. Weight Watchers encourages you to write everything you eat down--even the choices you are not so proud of--so that you can, first and foremost, keep track of what you're eating. But, just as importantly, by writing down all the food you eat, you can avoid the pitfall of thinking, "Well I just ate a doughnut so my day is shot and I might as well eat ANYTHING." Because, for some reason, tracking helps you to see that an otherwise healthy day + a doughnut is SO MUCH BETTER than a day with 6 doughnuts, 2 slices of pizza, ice cream etc...

I used to think of diets in terms of "good days" and "bad days," but tracking has helped me to, mostly, shed my compulsion for perfection and understand that an otherwise healthy day + 2 margaritas is so much better than...well, you can imagine...

Anyway, on that note, I had a successful OP day yesterday. I went to my Zumba class and managed to turn down a 25 point salad for lunch (thank goodness!). I also stopped by the grocery store and picked up some food so that I can cook more at home, instead of depending upon Subway sandwiches. I made a very yummy tortilla salad for dinner (It was pretty point-y because I had eaten a very light lunch and needed the points after Zumba.)

Tortilla Salad:

6 ounces grilled chicken (6)
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
1/2 cup black beans (2)
1/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar (2)
1 serving baked tortilla chips (crumbled) (2)
1 tablespoon honey mustard dressing (1)

Total points: 13

So yeah, a pretty high point salad, but you could easily cut the chicken and beans servings in half which would take 4 points off. And maybe you don't need the chips, although they did add a nice crunch. Anyway, I had the points yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed the salad :)

Anyway, I have to get back to work. Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment