Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mental Preparation

Today is my weigh in day.

For the last two weeks, I have let my weigh in verdicts get me down, but not today. My goal today is to accept whatever number the scale throws at me--even if I see a gain. Because I know, in my gut, that I had a successful week. I worked out 5 times. On Saturday, I went on a bike ride; Sunday, I went for a jog; Monday, I went to Body Pump; Tuesday, I worked out on the elliptical for 40+ minutes; and Wednesday, I went to Body Pump. I stuck within my points, although I did use a few APs, and I tried to get in my fruits and veggies, lean protein, and calcium every day. I have started taking a multivitamin.

To sum up, I am probably the healthiest I have ever been in my entire life.

At the same time, I did not overly restrict myself this past week. If I was still hungry after dinner, I allowed myself a snack, even if it put me over on my DPs. I drank 2% milk instead of 1% because I prefer the taste. I had a WW fudge ice cream bar last night and it was delicious :) I didn't count points for the milk or cream I put in my coffee. In other words, I made the plan manageable for myself. After my extreme reaction to last week's weigh in, I decided that I can't restrict myself too much because I won't be able to sustain it. And this, as I keep telling myself, is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

And if that means that it's going to take a whole year to get to goal, so be it. The worst possible thing would be if I lose the weight quickly in an unhealthy way and then gain it all right back plus extra. I haven't been as thin/ fit as I am right now in a long time and I am enjoying being my current size. While I would like to get to my goal weight, I'm not exactly desperate to do so (if that makes sense).

So, hopefully I am mentally prepared for my weigh in. Whatever happens this week, I know that if I keep exercising and eating as I have been doing, I will eventually lose the weight and become a healthy person. Just as I know that if I eat pizza and ice cream every day, I will gain weight.

Weight loss is not a mystery, even though daily/ weekly fluctuations can make it seem like it is. But in the long run, if you lead a healthy lifestyle you will get to a healthy (or reasonably healthy) weight. It's just a matter of time.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It sounds like you've got a much better mentality this week and you shouldn't be letting the number on the scale determine your mood OR your success. You are doing amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete